A delicious St Louis classic dessert with a sweet cream cheese filling and crinkly sugary top. Gooey Butter Cake is more like bars than a cake, and they’re ooey gooey and so good!
Guess what …no I’m not pregnant. We’re moving! My husband accepted a great job in St Louis and we’re moving out there this month! CRAZY!
In honor of our pending move, I decided it was time to share this sinfully delicious recipe for a St Louis classic dessert: Gooey Butter Cake.
The crust is slightly chewy, the filling is sweet and gooey with a slight sugary crackle on top. Oh, its gooooood. I usually have a high tolerance for dessert consumption, but this stuff is so sweet and rich, even I have to pace myself.
That back of the throat sugar burn, ahhh yes.
I brought some to share with my co-workers today (last day of work, woo-hoo!) and they begged for the recipe. So here it is girls!
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 1/2 c butter (softened or melted)
- 1 egg
- 1 (8 oz) pkg cream cheese (softened)
- 1 1/2 butter (softened or melted)
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 1/2 c powdered sugar
- Mix crust ingredients well, and then pour into 9×13 pan, and pat down to form a crust.
- For filling, cream together butter, cream cheese, egg and vanilla. Add in powdered sugar and mix well.
- Pour on top of crust, and spread evenly.
- Bake 40-50 mins at 350. Do not overbake, you want the center to be slightly gooey.
- Cool thoroughly (its really messy when its warm, but sets up as it cools to room temperature).
- Cut into small squares and sprinkle lightly with powdered sugar, if desired.
Now Designs Tin Cake Stand, Aqua - 5004001aa
KitchenAid KHM7210CU 7-Speed Digital Hand Mixer with Turbo Beater II Accessories and Pro Whisk - Contour Silver
M KITCHEN WORLD Heat Resistant Silicone Spatulas Set | Rubber Spatula Kitchen Utensils Non-Stick for Cooking, Baking and Mixing | Ergonomic, Dishwasher Safe Bakeware Set of 4, Orange
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.