Creamy and tangy, this yummy green chile mac and cheese casserole with chicken is easy and unique, and sure to please a crowd!
The other night, my daughter requested Encha-Mac for dinner. Unfortunately (or perhaps, fortunately!) I didn’t have any cans of red enchilada sauce, only green. After my days as a waitress in a Mexican restaurant, I knew that red sauce, beef and cheddar are a match made in heaven, but green enchilada sauce requires chicken and white cheese. And sour cream…
My wheels started turning, and this recipe was born.
Its SO easy. 6 ingredients, and its done in like 30 minutes. You can raise or lower the heat level on this by using more or less of the green chiles. We’re wimps at our house, so I used half a small can. This was even better the second day (I had it for lunch today).
Yum yum yum!
Chicken Verde Mac & Cheese
From The How To Mom
2 chicken breasts, cooked and chopped into bite size pieces (about 3 cups)
2 c elbow macaroni
1 (10 oz) can green enchilada sauce
1 (4 oz) can chopped green chiles (I only use half)
3/4 c sour cream
8 oz monterey jack cheese, shredded
1. Cook macaroni as directed.
2. In large saute pan, combine chicken, enchilada sauce and desired amount of chiles, let simmer 5-10 minutes
3. Remove from heat and stir in sour cream. Then add half of the cheese and stir til combined and melted.
4. Pour pasta into 9×13 dish. Top with chicken mixture and stir to combine.
5. Top with remaining cheese.
6. Bake at 350 for 15 minutes.