Creamy and tangy, this yummy green chile mac and cheese casserole with chicken is easy and unique, and sure to please a crowd!
The other night, my daughter requested Encha-Mac for dinner. Unfortunately (or perhaps, fortunately!) I didn’t have any cans of red enchilada sauce, only green. After my days as a waitress in a Mexican restaurant, I knew that red sauce, beef and cheddar are a match made in heaven, but green enchilada sauce requires chicken and white cheese. And sour cream…
My wheels started turning, and this recipe was born.
Its SO easy. 6 ingredients, and its done in like 30 minutes. You can raise or lower the heat level on this by using more or less of the green chiles. We’re wimps at our house, so I used half a small can. This was even better the second day (I had it for lunch today).
Yum yum yum!
Chicken Verde Mac & Cheese
From The How To Mom
2 chicken breasts, cooked and chopped into bite size pieces (about 3 cups)
2 c elbow macaroni
1 (10 oz) can green enchilada sauce
1 (4 oz) can chopped green chiles (I only use half)
3/4 c sour cream
8 oz monterey jack cheese, shredded
1. Cook macaroni as directed.
2. In large saute pan, combine chicken, enchilada sauce and desired amount of chiles, let simmer 5-10 minutes
3. Remove from heat and stir in sour cream. Then add half of the cheese and stir til combined and melted.
4. Pour pasta into 9×13 dish. Top with chicken mixture and stir to combine.
5. Top with remaining cheese.
6. Bake at 350 for 15 minutes.
- How to Make a Burlap Wreath – 3 Easy Styles! - May 30, 2022
- How to Revive Wilted Hydrangeas – Guaranteed! - July 28, 2021
- Easy Canvas Painting Ideas – 30+ DIYs for Beginners - June 16, 2021
Make Your Own Beautiful Living Succulent Wreath Centerpiece! Complete video course by Jeannine Romero now available through Skillshare.
Thursday 5th of February 2015
This looks so yummy!!! Can non-fat Greek yogurt be used instead of sour cream?
Tuesday 18th of March 2014
This was AMAZING!! Thank you so much for sharing. ;)
Sunday 2nd of February 2014
omgoodness! I also always have these ingredients on hand. So glad I did, I made this and everyone loved it!
Tuesday 4th of February 2014
So glad to hear that! Thanks for letting me know! :)
Wednesday 4th of December 2013
@Julie P. ...It's great to hear that you love it...I get inspired..In my kitchen these ingredients are also available,,,I can't wait any more time to give it a try at my home,,I hope like you my whole family must gobbled it up too... Thanks Kylie for sharing such divine recipe...you become great Thanks AlenaMac and Cheese
Thursday 5th of December 2013
Well thanks! :)
Monday 25th of November 2013
I had all those ingredients on hand and made it last night. My whole family gobbled it up! Thanks!
Thursday 28th of November 2013
I'm so glad to hear it! :) Thanks for letting me know!