- How to Make a Burlap Wreath – 3 Easy Styles! - May 30, 2022
- How to Revive Wilted Hydrangeas – Guaranteed! - July 28, 2021
- Easy Canvas Painting Ideas – 30+ DIYs for Beginners - June 16, 2021
Fresh tomato soup is even better than the ol’ canned stuff of your childhood. This recipe for fresh tomato soup is packed with delicious, garden-ripe tomatoes and ready in less than 30 minutes!
My mom dropped off a bunch of super ripe, ruby red, almost squishy tomatoes to me the other day. I like tomatoes as much as the next person, but I prefer them cooked. Or roasted. I know that some people love a piece of toast with a slice of ripe tomato with a little salt. Me, not so much. So I stared at them, sitting on my counter for a good half of my day, trying to decide what to do with them.
Soup! Fresh tomato soup for dinner.
I’d made homemade tomato soup before, with various recipes. None really good enough to repeat. So I did a little googling and came up with a mish-mash of a couple recipes.
The result: AH-MA-ZING. Way better than Campbell’s. And ready in 30 minutes.
Fresh Tomato Soup Recipe
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 c onion, chopped
2 tbsp minced garlic
4-5 c chopped ripe tomatoes, seeded (you can sub in some canned, if needed)
2 c chicken broth (or 2 c water and 2 chicken bouillon cubes)
2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp flour
2 tsp sugar
1 tsp balsamic vinegar
1 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp (+) salt
pepper to taste
1. Heat olive oil in stock pot, and cook onions and garlic til tender, but not browned. Add chopped tomatoes and chicken broth and simmer for 20-25 mins. Remove from heat and use food mill, immersion blender or regular blender to carefully puree mixture.
2. In separate small skillet, melt butter and add flour, cooking til light golden brown. Whisk in 1 cup of pureed tomato mixture slowly, ensuring that the mixture doesn’t clump. When tempered, add mixture from skillet to the stock pot.
3. Add sugar, vinegar, basil, salt and pepper, and simmer 5 more minutes. Season to taste.
Would be SO good topped with croutons, parmesean cheese or small pasta, and of course, served with cheese toast or grilled cheese sandwiches.
Want more family friendly recipes?
Make Your Own Beautiful Living Succulent Wreath Centerpiece! Complete video course by Jeannine Romero now available through Skillshare.