Homemade pizza dough spread with a refried bean “sauce” and cheddar cheese, then baked til bubbly and then topped with crisp lettuce, ripe tomatoes and a sour cream ranch drizzle.
I can’t remember if it was Pizza Hut or Dominos, but I have a vague delicious memory of eating taco pizza as a child. It had a squishy crust, baked with refried beans, lots of cheddar cheese, tomatoes and then right before they brought it to the table (wait if I was in a restaurant, it must have been Pizza Hut) it was topped with cold crisp lettuce and drizzled with ranch.
It was so different and SO GOOD.
One Friday night, I decided to recreate it for my kids and it was a huge hit! It is now my oldest daughter’s favorite meal, and after serving it to friends and family, its become something I’m known for. I’d love to make it for you, but alas. I can help you make it though!
How to Make Taco Pizza at Home
For this pizza recipe, I typically use my go-to Pioneer Woman pizza dough recipe as a base. The dough is easy to put together, doesn’t require weird ingredients, and makes a tender-on-the-inside-crusty-on-the-outside type of crust. The flavor is perfect too. Mmmm… I use the dough recipe on my BBQ Chicken Pizza too. But the Taco Pizza is the family favorite.
To top the pizza, I use homemade refried beans (easier than you think!) and then classic taco toppings of cheddar cheese, crisp shredded lettuce (shh! sometimes I use pre-shredded lettuce), chopped ripe tomatoes and a drizzle of ranch dressing. So good!
The dough recipe is easily doubled. After it rises, I freeze half of it in a gallon zip bag, and it thaws after a few hours by a window. To bake it, I just brush a bit of olive oil on my parchment paper and it bakes perfectly, with practically no mess. I might go so far as to say it is fool proof. Or is it fail proof? Either way, I’m 99% sure it will work out for you. And I’m 99% sure you’ll love the Taco Pizza.
Taco Pizza Recipe
Make this super yummy and unique taco pizza with a basic pizza dough, topped with refried beans, cheddar cheese, chilled lettuce and ripe tomatoes. Delicious with ranch drizzled on top!
For the Dough
- 1/2 tsp active dry yeast
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 1/2 Tbs olive oil
Taco Pizza Toppings
- 1/2 cup refried beans, thinned with water
- 2 cups cheddar cheese
- 2 cups shredded iceberg, green leaf or romaine lettuce
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 4 Tbs ranch, thinned with water
- 1/2 cup sliced olives (optional)
- To make the dough, stir together yeast and warm water in small bowl.
- In large bowl, combine flour and salt.
- Add yeast mixture to flour mixture, along with olive oil and stir to combine.
- Knead til smooth, then cover bowl with a towel or plastic wrap and let rise for 1-2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees (a pizza stone helps make great pizza!)
- Drizzle a little olive oil on a piece parchment paper, or directly onto cookie sheet,
- Spread dough out to desired size.
- Top with refried beans, cheese, and other desired toppings (taco meat, olives, etc)
- Bake at 500 til golden brown (about 10 minutes)
- Remove from oven and cool for a few minutes before topping with lettuce, tomatoes and ranch drizzle.
This pizza would be delicious with additional toppings, like taco meat, shredded beef, carnitas, grilled chicken, etc.
For extra zip, drizzle with your favorite hot sauce!
- How to Make a Burlap Wreath – 3 Easy Styles! - May 30, 2022
- How to Revive Wilted Hydrangeas – Guaranteed! - July 28, 2021
- Easy Canvas Painting Ideas – 30+ DIYs for Beginners - June 16, 2021
Make Your Own Beautiful Living Succulent Wreath Centerpiece! Complete video course by Jeannine Romero now available through Skillshare.
Tuesday 21st of April 2015
oh. my. word. this is the BEST crust ever!!!!!!!! So yum! I may just eat an entire pizza by myself! SO DELISH!!
Thursday 7th of November 2013
LOVE your recipes, Kylie. You have really great variety. Thanks!
Wednesday 16th of October 2013
I think you'll like it! Let me know when you try it :)
like mother like daughter
Tuesday 15th of October 2013
Yum, Kylie this looks so good! I have yet to find a pizza crust I really love, so I can't wait to try this one!